Wednesday, May 17, 2006



Hey Jakey,

I'm addicted! To the Unisom! In an abstract way, I knew it could possibly happen, but last night iced it for me:

Working on the magazine into the wee hours. I finally turn off the computer at about 2 a.m. and head to bed. I realize that I have not taken my Unisom/B6 cocktail, and decide to forego it for one night, seeing as it is 2 in the morning, and I have to get up in about 5 hours. So I toss and turn for three hours, blogging in my head, pretend-chatting with new clients and having witty dinner conversations with the men of Lost. I cannot get to sleep. Finally, at about 5 a.m. I realize that I HAVE to get some sleep, as I have a pretty important lunch meeting in several hours, and I don't want to look like and act like a complete, sleep-deprived DWEEB. So I actually take a Unisom at frickin' 5 o'clock in the morning, finally drift off maybe an half hour later, then my alarm goes off at 8.

Luckily, all of South Lake Tahoe's phone and internet systems were down due to vandals cutting cables in Placerville and stealing the copper out of them. So I spent the first couple of hours at work napping and playing computer chess. Then I snoozed hard for about half an hour in the parking lot in front of the restaurant where we had our meeting. I didn't make an ass of myself, but neither did I win any new friends or influence important people. I did, however, partake of the yummy fish tacos.

This same sitch happened when I was on Paxil. When I finally weaned myself off of it last year, I began to furiously exhibit all the behaviors that people normally take Paxil for. I ate too much, was depressed and suicidal, and became an anti-social bitch. Well, eating too much and bitchiness aside, the Paxil was originally prescribed to stave off occasional acute anxiety attacks. It took a few months to get back to normal.

Same with taking the domperidone for months. I took the domperidone to boost my milk supply when I was nursing you. Then I quit. Every symptom that people normally take domperidone for manifested itself. I had trouble digesting food and had outrageous heartburn. Troubles that I definitely did not have *before* the dom.

So, here I am, sleepless in Gardnerville. Dependence at this point is the lesser of the two evils. The slight lessening of my morning sickness is worth the risk of a few (or a lot) of sleepless nights in the far future. Hmph. I say that now.

And you kicking me in the head all night did NOT help, baby. I love you, but we gotta get you your own bed soon! Sleep tight, and I'll try to do the same.

No comments: