Friday, September 30, 2011

Five Things

1) I've got a cold. The girl who sits next to me at work has had a sinus infection for a few days now, and I'm hoping all I've caught from her is a cold. My sinus infections last for weeks and weeks.

2) Discussed the feasibility of my upcoming vacation with my super at work. Is it reality? Is it fantasy? Spent a good portion of the day thinking about what kind of laid-back kind of things I'd like to do if it indeed comes to pass. Driving around looking at fall colors figured prominently in my thoughts.

3) Started designing the front page of the Tahoe paper tonight but had to pass it on to someone else because I was crying too hard to see my computer screen clearly. The cover story tonight was about a young army man from South Shore who had been killed Monday while serving in Afghanistan. I didn't know this person, of course. It's just unspeakably sad. He was only 21 years old and it was his first deployment.

4) I made pasta for dinner tonight. I sautéed a bit of salmon and dumped it on top, and crumbled some feta over the whole thing. This is only notable because I hardly ever cook something for myself anymore. It's gvçomusually leftovers from your dinner with daddy and nana and papa or something I pick up on the way home.

5) Jakob, you were still awake in bed when I got home tonight. I laid down with you for awhile to shoot the shit, cuz that's what we do if I'm lucky enough to get home while you're still up. We started talking about where we'd like to travel when we win the lotto. You mentioned Spain, and I thought that was a very fine idea. You got kind of ticked off that I don't make enough money working in newspapers to be able to take you there right now. You asked me why I don't pick another career. Actually, what you said was, "Why don't you ..." and I said, "What? What? Why don't I WHAT?" and you said, "Oh never mind," and that's when I said, "oh screw you" (well, okay, not in so many words, but you got the gist) and i got up to let you go to sleep. Someday you will read this and be sorry that you hurt my feelings. And i will re-read this someday and be bummed that I got my feelings hurt by a 7-year-old and got mad. But I forgive you. Do you forgive me?

Love you both. Good night.




No comments: